Welcome to the Lipoedema UK Website
Charity No 1157716
Lipoedema UK is the UK’s first ever charity for a condition called Lipoedema, also spelt Lipedema (in the USA).
Do you suffer from the following?
- Excess weight on your legs
- Heaviness and discomfort of the legs
- Your upper body and lower body are completely different sizes?
You can lose weight from your upper body but not your lower.
Then you may be suffering from Lipeodema.
Lipeodema is is a condition that makes you accumulate fat below the waist, often giving you hips, buttocks and legs that are out of proportion with your upper body. It can also affect your arms.
78% of Lipoedema sufferers questioned in our survey (Lipoedema UK Big Survey 2014) stated that they developed symptoms between the ages of 18-25 but only 7% received a diagnosis. They later realised they had Lipoedema. Many people take decades to obtain a diagnosis and have been told over the years that the fat ‘Is their own fault’.
It is believed that 11% of the female population suffer from Lipoedema.
(Foldi F, Foldi M 2006 ‘ Lipoedema’)
If you feel you have lipoedema but your doctor isn’t aware of the condition and won’t believe you.
All our members receive information for their doctor and other medical advisors to educate them about lipoedema and it’s symptoms.
By joining us you are forcing change across the country. The greater the awareness of Lipoedema, the higher the likelihood of finding a cure.
Our mission is to :
- educate doctors and all medical professionals so that they recognise lipoedema
- help sufferers treat the condition
- run events featuring the best practice and medical knowledge
- enable you to meet and share experiences with other people with the condition
- of course we also want to find a CURE!