Welcome to the Lipoedema UK Website
Charity No 1157716
Lipoedema UK is the UK’s first medical charity for a condition called Lipoedema, also spelt Lipedema (in the USA).
Do you suffer from the following?
- Excess weight on your legs
- Heaviness and discomfort of the legs
- Your upper body and lower body are completely different sizes making clothes shopping very difficult
- You have a small waist, but large hips and thighs
- Your excess weight does not include your feet or hands
- You can lose weight from your upper body but not your lower
- Your lower body bruises easily
Then you may be suffering from Lipeodema.
Lipeodema is is a condition that makes you accumulate painful fat below the waist, often giving you hips, buttocks and legs that are out of proportion with your upper body. It can also affect your arms.
78% of Lipoedema sufferers questioned in our survey (Lipoedema UK Big Survey 2014) stated that they developed symptoms between the ages of 18-25 but only 7% received a diagnosis. Many people take decades to realise that they have Lipoedema and are been told over the years that the excess fat ‘Is their own fault’.
It is believed that 11% of the female population suffer from Lipoedema.
(Foldi F, Foldi M 2006 ‘ Lipoedema’)
One of the most frustrating things about lipoedema is that many doctors aren’t aware of the condition making it difficult to get a diagnosis.
Lipoedema UK’s mission is educate to all doctors and healthcare professionals to recognise lipoedema in the early stages, and to ensure that all people with lipoedema have access to top quality advice and care.
We also want to encourage research into new treatments and ultimately a cure.
Please support Lipoedema UK and help us achieve our aims.